Monday, November 14, 2011

Come To The Table

It’s that time of year, when we think about getting with family and friends to celebrate the holidays. Time to gather with those we cherish; family, old friends, and hopefully new friends. The place of gathering in our home is the table and it is very dear to me. I think about family and friends seated around my table as we enjoy good food, conversation, and laughter. The best part is when the dessert has been served, along with the coffee, and the lingering begins. We linger because of the pure enjoyment of being in the presence of those gathered around the table.

When guests are coming, I spend hours and days in preparation. I decide what dishes and glasses I will use. I think through table linens and their colors, whether or not to use candles and or flowers. Then I plan the menu and think about those that will gather. Thought goes into if anyone has food allergies or a dislike of certain foods. I desire to make everyone feel comfortable and welcomed. Then my favorite part, when all are gathered and seated we link hands and bow our heads in thanks. When we say, “Amen”, I often ask the Lord to help us to slow down and to hit the pause button for the moments that we have together. I pray also that the people seated will take a deep breath and allow the feeling of belonging to wrap around them like a warm quilt on a winter’s day. I think we all desire the feeling of belonging and being invited to a table.

When I look at God’s word I see the importance that God puts on the table. The table represents communion, relationship, and intimacy. All the way back in the tabernacle in the wilderness there was a table, where the Bread of Presence was placed. It represented God being the Sustainer of life and His desired fellowship with man. It was at a table that Jesus spent some of his final hours with His disciples in an effort to show the full extent of His love. It is to a table that all who have been redeemed are invited as we join our Bridegroom at the marriage feast. Has it always been about the table and has the Father been planning this gathering of His children around His table since the garden? I am sure I have not the imagination to guess at how grand and wonderful that table will be. My mind fills with questions and dances like a child waiting for Christmas morning when I think about it.

The table and it’s beauty reflect everything that I love to think and dream about. The preparation for the table has included sacrifice and suffering. The invitation that has been extended has been embossed with ink that is colored red. No one knows whether there will be china or crystal or what kind of food will be served. One thing I do know, there will be lingering, much lingering, as we drink up being in the presence of our Host. Since He is the Bread of Life and the Living Water just being face to face with Him at the table may be the most sufficient feast we could ever desire. Thoughts so delicious, I can hardly take them in!
“No eye has seen, no ear has heard, and no mind has imagined what God has prepared for those who love Him." 1 Corinthians 2:9 NLT

Exodus 25:23-30, John 13, Revelation 19:9

No comments:

Post a Comment