Monday, January 11, 2016

Navigating

Navigating; to move on, over, or through
                       to position on a course
                          to pass over
                            to walk or find one's way in or across

Navigating; isn’t that what we are doing?  Trying to move on, or over, or through something?  Don't we want to be positioned on a course? Some of us want and need just enough light to walk and find a way in or across what we are facing.  Our lives are filled with decisions that have to be made and steps that have to be taken.  It can be overwhelming at times. There have been times that I have been paralyzed, thinking if I make the wrong decision that somehow I will be out of God's will and taken off course.  This comes from a faulty perspective that was ingrained in me from the time I was a little girl.  The thought that God's will is like a tight rope and I must make every step with perfect precision or the results will be disastrous. Somehow thinking that once off the tight rope there is no recovery.  From where I stand now on this journey, I clearly see that kind of thinking doesn't mirror at all the character of the One who I am following.

It's more like white water rafting!  There is a guide in the boat and you are in the boat WITH him.  He guides and directs you as you go down this river called life.  Sometimes you can't hear him because the water has captured your focus and you choose to go right when it might have been better to go left.  When you get to the left, you realize it, you turn to your guide, and he with the perfect precision that only he has, directs and guides you so you can navigate the water you find yourself in.  The point is, you are still in the boat with the Guide and you have never left the river! Harder paddling? Sometimes.  Messy waters?  Often. Could have been easier another way?  Possibly.  Mistake? I'm not convinced.

We get so hung up on making a mistake mostly because we don't want other people to think we have made a mistake. Been there.  And, Jim and I have had people think that we must have fallen down and hit our heads on a few occasions, when we knew we were following.  In navigating and participating with your Guide, you have to able to live with people not getting or understanding your course. The only way you do that is by seeking to keep your ears open to the Guide.  Our decisions do set trajectory in our lives and should be made with as much light and wisdom as can be granted us.  But, we won't always make the right decisions.  We are going to have water in our ears sometimes and go right when we should have gone left.  The One we follow is all about speaking to stormy waters and making them calm, making beauty out of ashes, and making things for our good and ultimately His glory. Let that soak in and breathe deep.....

All of it then is material in His hand.  In my seeking to have my perspective swallowed up in His, I have been reading about and drinking from men and women's lives that participated with Him and the navigation of their lives.  The constant awareness of Him the guide is evident in every life.  And, the thought that God is using it all and can use anything to accomplish His purpose is what is ingrained in them. These things kept them moving instead of paralyzed by the rapids that raged around them.  What I am convinced of is that all is not lost by a misguided turn and He is still in control.

One of those lives from the 1700's wrote this,
"You seek perfection and it lies in everything that happens to you- your suffering, your actions, your impulses are the mysteries under which God reveals Himself to you."

I'm asking God to navigate me through this portion of the river, to position me on the course to run my own race, and to show me how to find my way into more of Him and less of me in the coming year. Can you open palm the entire course to Him?  The waters you have already come through and those that are still up ahead?

Still learning to abide,
Kim
Proverbs 16:9, Psalm 32:8, Psalm 119:105, Romans 8:26-32












No comments:

Post a Comment